2024-04-12

Girls Day

 

Image from Pixabay

It was one of those rainy Thursday mornings where you have to provide the bright spots yourself. Well, I got a chance to do just that, because I was on my way to give a special presentation. Our HR people held the annual Girls Day, for 14 and 15 year old girls from the highschool next door. I was the first male (and perhaps the oldest) speaker in the history of Girls Day. One thing was clear: I shouldn't come here with a story about how we do security. My story had to be about those girls.

I wanted to show the students something about their digital footprint. And so a few weeks ago I requested the list of participants and googled the names. You should have seen their faces when I told them! Wide-eyed, exchanging anxious looks with their friends. I told them that I was not going to mention any names and that I would not put anything recognizable on the screen. That reassured them somewhat. But I did have their full attention.

My search initially yielded a fairly innocent harvest: there were quite a few sporty girls, ranging from gymnasts to horse riders (including the horse’s names). More than half of the girls didn’t show up on Google at all. However, one particular girl revealed more. She had - probably unintentionally - made her presentations for the triangular meetings public (triangular meetings are the modern form of the parents' evening, where the tutor, the parents and the student get together and the student explains how things are going). I now know that this student sometimes lacks motivation (well, who doesn't), has attended different primary schools (someone at the back of the room breathed a sigh of relief: this isn't me!), likes teacher X but has trouble with their subject and enjoys the school parties. And a few more things that I left out because they are too personal.

This student probably didn't want to give the usual PowerPoint presentation, but something flashier. Instead she used Prezi, which allows you to create a very dynamic story. However, all your presentations are public if you use the free version. Oops. And oh yes, I was able to make the match between teacher X and the difficult subject because there is a list of all teachers on the school's website.

Instagram let me demonstrate that other people also (often unintentionally) reveal information about you. I looked up the names there too. For one name, there were three accounts. Which account belonged to the student on my list? The second account had a follower that was also on my list of names. Bingo! Then I took a closer look at the followers of that account. There was a company name in there, which also contained the girl's surname (fictional example: Balloon King Johnson). It’s a safe bet that this is the student's father or mother. The bio of that company account also included the street and city name. But no house number. It was the kind of business you could imagine being based at home. If I could find that company, I would know where this girl lived.

With Google Streetview you can virtually walk through a street. And look at the houses. When I walked through that street mentioned in the account for the second time and took a good look around me, I found what I was looking for: at one house, I saw something that was a clear reference to the company (in the fictional example there would have been a balloon arch at the front door). I told my audience: “If the letters in your zip code are AL, then this is about you.” You could have heard a pin drop.

So what, you might think. But remember: I'm one of the good ones guys. There’s plenty of scum around who would love to know where a girl like that lives. With my little finger exercise I demonstrated that the solution often consists of several puzzle pieces, which you can find in different places. I also told my audience that I am only an amateur in this field, and with this video I showed how others, who approach this with a bit of professionalism, can find out much more about you.

Of course I threw away the list of names. What remains is the memory of a special morning in which I hopefully made a number of young people think.

 

 And in the big bad world...

This section contains a selection of news articles I came across in the past week. Because the original version of this blog post is aimed at readers in the Netherlands, it contains some links to articles in Dutch. Where no language is indicated, the article is in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gyro Gearloose

  Image from Pixabay Gyro Gearloose is a crane after my own heart. He can invent a genius device to order, or he has something lying around ...